PLATEAU LAND AND WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT NEWS

Plateau Land and Wildlife Management

Thursday, June 24, 2010

ADVENTURES IN BRUSH MANAGEMENT

Or how I dragged myself off the phone and started dragging.

By Kameron Bain

Growing up in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, I witnessed the magic and the majesty of nature. However, I never understood what it meant to be a true steward of the land until I came to work at Plateau. During the past three years, as a member of the Plateau team, I have been immersed in a continuing education on what it takes to be a responsible private landowner. As a member of Plateau's office staff, that education has come within the confines of a comfortable office, via biologist reports and technician tales from the trenches. But when I was promoted to the business development team, I knew I could not effectively sell Plateau's services without hands-on experience. I needed to really learn what our landowners take on throughout the year.

Because the Plateau team is definitely one of action, within the blink of an eye I found myself transported from my office chair to the cab of a pick up, and on the road to my first Plateau adventure in brush management. Truth be told, I was nervous, but on our ride to the client property, Plateau Ecologist Eric Wallgren eased my nerves by going over what to expect. Eric provided safety tips and assured me I would not get hurt. Maybe dirty, but not hurt.

As a firm believer that dressing the part helps you act the part, I was pleased that once we arrived at the property we suited up, head to toe, in protective gear. As we set off for the job site, I settled into the back of the truck where I caught sight of a deer moving through the trees. A common picture in these parts to be sure, but not an everyday occurrence in New Hampshire and, even after three years, the novelty and thrill has not warn off. As I blithely lifted my head to take in all the lovely sights and sounds of our Hill Country ...THWACK! I was whacked in the face with a low-hanging tree branch.

First lesson learned.

After smartly ducking for the remainder of our journey to the job site, next lessons leaned were the dos and don'ts of the scary monster the techs call the shredder. Not in the mood to lose any limbs, I paid close attention to the technical aspects of brush management. But, perhaps more importantly, I learned Plateau's ecological approach to brush management. Plateau strives to not only enhance the beauty of the land, but also improve the habitat. Whether it be straight logs for erosion control or converting all remaining branches to mulch, nothing cut down is wasted.

When the official work began, it finally sank in that I was actually about to do this! With all engines running, the tech team dove into doing what they do best -- working hard. I was impressed with the seamless work style of the tech team. Everyone stepped into a task that needed to be filled without debate or discussion. They worked the shredder and chainsaws like it was second nature and they truly made the job seem effortless.

Maybe this wouldn't be so hard after all!

I quickly decided the best task for me to take on was dragging the brush piles to the shredder. While this appeared to be the least complicated job, I soon learned it was in no way easy. The brush piles and I had many battles royal throughout the day, and I had the scratches and bruises to prove it. Although at times it took all my might, I felt quite strong and victorious when I could find that one branch that would allow me to drag the entire pile to the shredder.

During the first hour I felt good, and remember thinking "Hey, this is really isn't that bad. I can do this." Then, as the hours passed and the sun grew stronger, my drags downgraded from smaller loads to smallish branches to throwing twigs. I ended the day by kicking the brush around with my feet. I was exhausted, dirty, sweaty, and beat-up. To this very day, I do not know how our tech team does this day in and day out. I always knew they worked hard, but I now had a first hand experience and profound appreciation for what they do for Plateau and landowners.

Finally, my work was done. This was certainly the hardest physical labor I had experienced in the past decade. But I was truly rewarded when I looked behind me and saw what a difference we made in just one day. The trail we created made this piece of the property look more open, beautiful, and, after tangling with brush all day, more free. I thought about how our client landowner would enjoy his property more because he could actually walk about and enjoy the sounds of the stream we had uncovered.

Thank you to Steve, Eric, Romey, and Jake for their patience, their knowledge, and their graciousness in letting me work side by side with them. Not only were they doing their job, and doing it well, but they were helping and watching out for me all day. Their expertise, skill, and work ethic are inspiring. I am truly honored to be on the same team with all of them.

Until my next Plateau adventure, have a great summer!

Kameron Bain grew up in Conway, New Hampshire nestled in the heart of the Mount Washington Valley. She graduated from Quinnipiac University in Hamdon, Connecticut in 2002 with a BA in Mass Communications. Tired of the cold, six years ago she decided to move to the warmth and Texas. She joined the team at Plateau Land & Wildlife Management three years ago as the receptionist. Today, she works on the Business Development team focusing on what she loves best, helping clients.

For more information, on Plateau's brush management services (Kameron not included), contact us today!

Labels: , ,